EVENT TICKETS
ALL TICKETS >
Over 2,300 people evacuated in 36 hours from Tablighi Jamaat's Nizamuddin Markaz, 617 hospitalised with symptoms

The Tablighi Jamaat's Markaz in Nizamuddin West has been cleared and over 2,300 people have been evacuated in 36 hours, Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia said on Wednesday.

The Markaz has emerged as one of the major COVID-19 hotspots in the country with at least 24 of those evacuated testing positive over the last two days. 

Sisodia said 2,361 people have been evacuated from the Markaz out of which 617 have been admitted to hospitals with symptoms. The rest have been quarantined.

"The medical staff, administration, police and DTC staff worked together in this 36-hour operation, putting their lives at risk. Hats off to all of them," Sisodia said. 

The total number of coronavirus cases in Delhi climbed to 120 on Tuesday including 24 people who took part in a religious congregation at the Markaz in Nizamuddin West earlier this month.

In Andhra Pradesh, 43 people who attended the event have been tested positive. 

Meanwhile, various state governments are in a mission mode to trace people who attended the event in Delhi or who came in contact with those who have been tested positive. 

Local authorities have appealed to people to come forward if they attended the gathering at Markaz. 

Delhi Police has registered an FIR against six people who managed the Tablighi Jamaat headquarters including one Maulana Saad who is believed to be the in-charge.

Dr Zeeshan, Mufti Shehzad, M Saifi, Younus and Mohd Salman other accused named in the FIR under Section 3 of the Epidemic Diseases Act, 1897.

Maulana Saad's whereabouts are unknown and Delhi Police has launched searches to trace him.

Back